Cusworth Hall is a 18th-century country house located on the outskirts of Doncaster. It is 2.5 mi west of the town centre, across the Don. Although it is not the biggest house in Yorkshire, it nonetheless is a nice property, very typical of the old English stately homes. It actually has it all – a Neopalladian architecture surrounded by a park with a lake.
Admission is free, which makes it one of the rare houses in Yorkshire that can be visited for free. However, visitors need to pay the car park. The estate can be reached by bus, or on foot from Doncaster town centre (45/60 min walk). The house is closed on Thursdays and Fridays, but the gardens remain open throughout the week. See the website.
Cusworth Hall as it is now was built between 1740 and 1745 to replace an older house. The family who built it, the Wrightsons, remained in ownership until 1961, when the property was sold to Doncaster Council.
Most of the house has been turned into a museum about local history. It mainly focuses on life in the area in Victorian and Edwardian times. There are old clothes and exhibits about every aspect of life – industry, childhood, leisure, religion. Although the rooms have been stripped of their furniture, panels tell the visitor about their history. The service rooms and the chapel are still authentically furnished however.
The park is not especially big but there are nice views on the house and on Doncaster in the distance. There are a series of lakes and flowers borders on a side. The tea room, set in the former stables, is quite nice.
Around Cusworth Hall: