Hedon is a small market town of Holderness, located in the outskirts of Hull, around 6 mi east of the city centre.
Hedon is a typical town of Holderness, and of the East Riding as a whole. It has a quiet atmosphere and a lot of Georgian architecture. The old town revolves around a high street and a nice green surrounded by small brick houses.
Hedon was created ex nihilo in the Middle Ages according to a grid plan which still partly exists. It was founded to serve as an inland port. It then communicated with the Humber estuary. It later declined when its harbour silted up, to the benefit of Hull which then flourished.
The old town mostly dates from the Georgian era and the church is the only obvious testimony of the medieval golden age. St Augustine’s was built from the 12th to the 15th century. Its tower is 128 feet high and it is one of the largest churches in the East Riding. Owing to its size, it is commonly known as the ‘King of Holderness’; the church at Patrington being the ‘Queen of Holderness’ (see Withernsea).
Near Hedon and on the shore of the Humber is Paull, as small village which marks the end of the port of Hull. The place has an old lighthouse, and a small Victorian fortress. Named Fort Paull, it was built in 1860 and it now houses a small military museum. It is however in need of a facelift. Closed in winter, full-price admission £6.50, see the website.